The Czech Facilitated Therapy Association
The Czech Equine Facilitated Therapy Association (CEFTA) was founded in 1991 as a voluntary, non-government and not-for-profit organisation with the vision to promote the best and safe practice of Equine Facilitated Therapies (EFT) and to integrate individuals with disabilities or special needs.
Vision and Mission
- To bring together people interested in EFT.
- To promote the best expertise, effect, and safety in EFT in the Czech Republic.
- To organize and conduct conferences, workshops, internships and specialized courses.
- To be an information source.
- To provide expert consultations.
- To publish methodologies and industry standards for each EFT disciplines.
- To promote and ensure equine welfare standards.
- To assess the eligibility of therapy horses.
- CEFTA associates physical, occupational and speech therapists, physicians, psychologists, nurses, social workers, special educators and riding instructors.
- Membership is open to everyone working with horses in the health and social care fields, education and para-equestrian.
- EFT clients and their family members are most welcome as well.
- CEFTA registers 57 EFT centres and 70 individual members.
Centre accreditation program
The center accreditation program has been implemented since 2013. Center membership is divided into 4 categories:
- Accredited EFT training center
- Accredited EFT center
- Registered center
- Associated center
Therapy horse certification program
- The licensed program for horses participating in EFT has been implemented since 2011.
- The purpose of this specialized testing system is to verify horse characteristics and it's acquired skills that meet the needs of a therapy horse.
- The therapy horse certification program puts particular emphasis on the examination of the horse’s movement pattern and its character and reactions.
- Each horse successfully passing the exam will get the license and special label on its stabling (see the picture).
Education and conferences
- To promote the best expertise, effectiveness, and safety in EFT, CEFTA organizes several specialized courses for professionals in Hippotherapy, Equine Facilitated Learning and Psychotherapy and for Therapy horse trainers.
- CEFTA organizes a National conference every two years.
- CEFTA organizes or co-operates to conduct workshops and para-equestrian competitions.
The EFTA-CR is a part of the ERASMUS+ project, where our mission is to help colleagues from Turkey and Bulgaria build their own education system. There are 8 lecturers from each country. The project is for two years and we will have 4 meetings. The first one will be in Brno at the end of March. Then we will go to Varna in early summer and to Turkey in September. In spring 2020, we will finish the project in Brno. It is a great challenge for us and we look forward to it!