Hippotherapy course - basic
We are very excited to open this course! We have been thinking how to share our vast knowledge and experience in hippotherapy with all therapists and other professionals around the world. So we have found this solution. Let see if this concept can overcome the long distance among us!
The Czech Therapeutic Riding Association was founded in 1991. Since then we have organized comprehensive education programs for physical and occupational therapists, educators, social workers, psychotherapist and horse persons.
Course Hippotherapy basic has been running for 18 years. Hippotherapy treatment method is very advanced in our country. Our therapists know how to apply it with great benefit to their clients in wide range of diagnoses.
How the course works?
If you are interested, please complete the application form. Then wait for the confirmation email with detailed information about enrolling in the course and payment.
After the payment, you will get a username and password to access the e-learning. Every week will be open a new lecture for self-study. During this period we will be online to answer your question via email. Furthermore, you will be invited to the closed FB group, where you can meet with the other participants as well.
The practical part, Prague, the Czech Republic
This part will take place in the hippotherapy centre Caballinus, z.s. from 8th to 12th April 2019. Another date will be scheduled in Autumn 2019.
The number of participants: No limit for e-learning. Practical part - minimum 4 and maximum 8 participants.
Who can attend: This course has been designed for physical, occupational and speech-language pathologists, physicians specialize in paediatrics, neurology, orthopaedic or rehabilitation. Horse-persons and other professions may attend the course, but will not get a certificate/diploma. All participants have to have at least a minimum of basic horse experience in equine handling and care.
Certificates of completion:
Physical, Occupational and Speech Pathology Therapist, Physicians (paediatrician, neurologist, orthopedist or physiatrist) will be requested to complete the whole course - e-learning and practical part, submit a case study (within 60 days from completing the practical part) and take an online test (within 14 days from submitting the case study). The Certificate will be credited with CME hours by the Czech national professional body and the Czech Therapeutic Riding Association.
Other professions - the participant may complete only the e-learning or the practical part as well. He/she will receive a certificate of attendance with information that he/she is not eligible to perform hippotherapy treatment session independently.
Hippotherapy is a physiotherapeutic method, therefore, the profession matter. If you are other profession and want to engage in Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies, please contact us for advice on email@example.com.
Course duration: 70 hours theory via e-learning and 40 hours of practice in a hippotherapy centre in the Czech Republic
What you will learn...
The course focuses on gaining theoretical and practical skills for performing hippotherapy.
The participants will learn:
- The principle of the horse’s movement affecting human systems.
- Neurodevelopmental milestones and possible positioning of the patient on the horse.
- Treatment standard for most common diagnosis.
- Appropriate methods of horse handling during hippotherapy.
- Selection and use of hippotherapy equipment for the horse and patient.
- All factors that contribute to safety in the hippotherapy session.
- Patient selection for hippotherapy including specific contraindications and precautions.
- Patient evaluation and treatment planning.
- Potential emergencies and appropriate procedures.
- Hippotherapy team members - roles.
- Documentation, record keeping.
- Equine skills - the “body language” of the horse, anatomical points of the horse, the desired conformation of the horse, desirable qualities of the horse’s movement.