Hippotherapy basic course
Certificates of completion: Written and practical evaluation will complete the course. Issued by The Czech Therapeutic Riding Association, Occupational and Physical Therapist will be credited with CME hours by the national professional body.
Course duration: 64 hours theoretical and 32 hours of practise in 2 educational blocks
The number of participant is limited to 14 in order to take the best advantage of the course. Minimum of participants is 8.
What you will learn...
The course focuses on gaining theoretical and practical skills for performing hippotherapy.
The participants will learn:
- Principle of the horse’s movement affecting human systems.
- Neurodevelopmental milestones and possible positioning of the patient on the horse.
- Treatment standard for each diagnosis.
- Appropriate methods of horse handling during hippotherapy.
- Selection and use of hippotherapy equipment for the horse and patient.
- All factors that contribute to safety in the hippotherapy session.
- Patient selection for hippotherapy including specific contraindications and precautions.
- Patient evaluation and treatment planning.
- Potential emergencies and appropriate procedures.
- Hippotherapy team members - roles.
- Documentation, record keeping, reimbursement issues and insurance.
- Equine skills - the “body language” of the horse, anatomical points of the horse, desirable conformation of the horse, desirable qualities of the horse’s movement.
Who can apply?
- To be a registered physical or occupational therapist, a speech language pathologist or a physician with at least minimum of basic horse experience in equine handling and care.